Tuesday, October 2, 2012

"All Cleaned Up Roasted Pumpkin Seeds" Recipe


One of my favorite things to do in the fall is to stock up on Pie Pumpkins and save them for a rainy day! Today is not a rainy day (it's actually very sunny... and beautiful!), but I do have a couple of sick kiddos laying around the house.  So, I'm making the best of this day and cutting open my first Pie Pumpkin of the year!

When I was little we would roast pumpkin seeds with melted butter and lots of table salt.  It was one of our favorite fall pastimes & snacks.  However, now that I'm all grown up, I'm always looking for ways to make my favorite things, only healthier for the family & I... but still just as tasty & enjoyable!  So I was very excited to try roasting pumpkin seeds a new way today!

Two steps to prepare to roast your seeds:
Step One
So, first thing's first! You have to buy your pumpkin! Not sure what a "Pie Pumpkin" is? Click here!

Step Two
Okay, now that you have your pumpkin.... time to cut it open, and gut it! I love this part... I'm sick, I know. ;)  Take all your seeds and seperate them from all the guts, put them into a small strainer. And rinse!


Okay, now you're ready to roast your seeds!!


All Cleaned Up Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Ingredients:
- Rinsed Pumpkin seeds from 1 Pie Pumpkin (about 1 cup of seeds or so)
- 2 tsp. of Coconut Oil
- approximately 1/8 - 1/4 tsp. Pink Himalayan Salt Crystals

Directions:
1. Begin preheating your oven to 300F. 
2. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
3. In a small microwave safe bowl melt Coconut Oil. 
4. Add your Pumpkin seeds to the bowl, and stir. 
5. Sprinkle salt evenly over the top, stir. 

I used Trader Joe's Pink Himalayan Salt Crystals,
and Spectrum brand Organic Coconut Oil for this recipe.
6. Spread mixture across your cookie sheet.
7. Bake for about 45 minutes. Seeds should be a light brown color when they're ready.

What your roasted seeds SHOULD look like when they're done!

*I stored mine in an air-tight container at room temp.  These should last about 2-3 days... if you don't gobble them all up in one sitting! ;)

Enjoy!

xoxo
Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment