|My neighbor made a soup like this for me a while back,|
and I had to go home and make my own rendition of it!
This has been one of my favorite "comfort foods" of the fall
Greek Bean Soup
- 1/4 C. + 2 Tbsp EVOO
- 2 large carrots
- 2 Celery Sticks
- 1/2 Yellow Onion
- 2 (15 oz) cans of Navy Beans, or Great Northern Beans
- 1 (14 oz) can of Diced Tomatoes
- Salt & Pepper (I always use Trader Joe's Pink Himalayan Salt Crystals)
- Feta Cheese for garnish
1. In a large stock pot, pour 2Tbsp EVOO, and add chopped carrots, celery, and onions. Let simmer on a low heat setting until the onions are cooked through, about 2-3 min.
2. Rinse and drain beans. They will bubble at first... rinse them until they stop bubbling.
3. Add your beans, tomatoes (NOT drained), remaining EVOO, and salt & pepper to taste. Stir together.
4. Bring to a boil, cover, turn heat to med-low & let simmer for about 10 minutes.
5. Serve with (or without) Feta Cheese sprinkled over top.
Note: This soup is not exactly "soupy"... meaning, it doesn't really have a broth, but it is a delicious, budget-friendly, quick way to throw something together! Another thing I love to do with it is to make a double batch. After it cools I stick half of the "soup" into a freezer bag for another date (or to send home to a mom with a new baby... or someone else who needs it more). It keeps in the freezer for months... so it's a nice thing to have around in your freezer on a night you need something quick.. just remember to put a date on it so you know when it was made. :)